Pursue hearts for Jesus
Share Christ among travelers
In our Christian ministry we focus on two main groups:
- Evangelism among the guests in our hostels
- Missionary work to cleaners
Evangelism among guests
The purpose of our Christian ministry is to share Christ and His love with the guests who stay at our hostel. We believe God brings each guest to the hostel for a purpose. Both believers and non-believers stay in our hostels. Some guests are very active in their spiritual journey and join our hostel activities where we openly share Christ. However, we also have a lot of guests that are more passive.
Christian ministry through hospitality
We serve all of our guests with joy, praying that God will continue to work in their lives. Excellent customer service is what we aim for. We spend time conversing with them about regular things, attempting to make “bridges” to the Gospel. They like to exchange ideas, to philosophize about God, Jesus and the Bible. But they don’t like to be pushed or preached at. Each guest receives a booklet with a biblical message upon arriving and with further interest they can also get a free copy of the New Testament. We want them to experience the Shelter as a safe place, and it is our deepest desire that they find God, the ultimate shelter for life.
We share Christ through engaging in personal conversations and our evangelism activities, such as:
- Bible Meditation - A staff member reads prayerfully a Bible passage with the attendees. Everyone spends several minutes in silence. After the silence there is time to share thoughts.
- Hostel Night - On Friday nights, we offer a free dinner for all of our guests. We spend time with them and share our testimonies.
- Film Discussion - Every two weeks we invite guests to watch a movie with us. After the movie staff members facilitate a discussion that brings the themes of the movie to a personal level and makes a bridge to the Gospel.
- City Walk - Guests love to explore the city. We take our guests on a tour around the area and share our enthusiasm about the city and its Christian roots.
- Open Mic Night - On Open Mic Night we encourage every guest to contribute a song, skit, dance, poem or whatever they like.
- Other outreaches - Volunteers sometimes come up with new ideas. There are many opportunities to be creative, engage guests, and share Christ in our ministry!
In everything we do, we see that relationship with guests are very important. If they get a warm welcome at the reception or had a nice talk with a volunteer, they’ll want to join our activities too. Guests like to join our activities when they feel loved, accepted and safe.
Missionary work to non-Christian cleaning volunteers
Besides sharing Christ through words and deeds to our guests, we also have a cleaning ministry. People (non-Christians) who are looking for a low-budget accommodation in Amsterdam, can work as a cleaner in the hostel for 14 – 28 days, in exchange for free room and board. We offer 3 to 6 cleaning positions at each hostel.
Everyday, before they start working, the cleaners start with a daily Bible Devotion, led by one of our volunteers. In this devotion we share in a relaxed way about Jesus and what it means to follow Him. Throughout the years, we have seen that these moments have a great impact on their lives. Some of our cleaners have accepted Christ as Lord of their life. For example Catia, whose life was completely turned upside down by Jesus. Or Gabriel, who came to Amsterdam as a traveler and who now dedicates his life to share the gospel with other travelers. God is doing great things in the hostels!